By Dustin Moskovitz | Engadgets By Dustin’s mom and dad, Michael and Megan, moved to Florida to raise their son.
As a child, they lived in an apartment building in the heart of Hollywood.
When Michael fell down a flight of stairs, his mother, a former nurse, jumped in to help him.
As they walked up to the second-floor stairwell, Megan grabbed a fire extinguisher and used it to try to put out the fire.
Michael, then 15, couldn’t see.
“It was kind of terrifying,” she said.
The family was able to get out safely, but Megan said the next day she was shaken by what happened next.
“My husband was in the shower and he heard this car going by, and he said, ‘Oh my god, he’s hit me!’
And that was it,” she recalled.
The impact was so intense that it took her a couple of minutes to realize she’d hurt her husband.
“I went down the stairs and saw his arm, and I thought, ‘I’m gonna break my arm,'” she said, adding she had no idea what had happened.
“But I was really scared and I felt like I had to take him to the hospital, because I couldn’t get my hand out of his arm.”
Megan said that as the car continued to go by, she got closer to her husband and he yelled out, “Oh my God!
Oh my God!”
It was too late.
She said that when they got home, the impact was too much for her to bear and she broke his arm.
“When I tried to do the CPR, I couldn and I couldn’ t,” she explained.
“And then when the paramedics came, I said, “What are you doing?
“They told me I was hurting him, and then I told them I had a broken arm.
And they said, well, we don’t want to do anything to hurt you.”
When she got to the emergency room, the staff there told her she had a fractured arm.
Megan said she thought that was strange because her arm wasn’t broken.
She was taken to the trauma center in Hollywood, and there were two surgeons there.
“Then I was like, oh my God, I’m injured,” she remembered.
She eventually went home and she called her family to tell them what had just happened.
Megan and her husband were both devastated by what had transpired.
“They told me it was an accident,” she added.
“He didn’t do it on purpose, but he was just trying to get back to the house.”
“The impact was huge, and it took a lot of strength to get to him,” Megan said.
“So, when you see that type of trauma, it’s kind of scary.”
“I’m really lucky because he’s doing okay, because he has a prosthetic,” Megan added.
Megan has been able to resume her work as a singer, and has been touring regularly, performing at events around the world.
However, she said she is still haunted by what she witnessed.
“You have to be strong and resilient and you have to know that it’s not your fault,” she told Engadges.
“Because when you’re walking down the street and it’s really dark and it looks like a tornado is coming at you, you don’t feel like you can do anything about it.”
Michael and his family also had to deal with the shock of losing their father, who was in his 80s when he died.
Megan, who has three other children, said that even though she was scared, she was grateful that she had survived the accident.
“In hindsight, it was so amazing because I have three little kids who were very young, and now I can go back to my family and look at them, and see they were there,” she noted.
Megan was able now to take some time to remember her dad and get some sleep, and she said that her recovery has been more than she could have ever imagined.
“The whole thing really touched me because I had no control of it,” Megan explained.